- Shape: cylindrical, flat surfaces and diameter measuring between 18 and 25 cm. The slightly convex heel measures 7 to 9 cm.
- Rind: thin, elastic, smooth, purplish.
- Texture: soft and semi-hard, no eyes, ivory colour but summer cheeses tend to be straw yellow.
- Flavour: complex and strong, slightly acidic, floral notes and wine fragrance.
- Shelf-life: 60 days.
- Ingredients: milk, salt, starter culture, rennet.
- Allergens: milk.
- Characteristics: ripened for 60 days then steeped in red wine marc for a further 40-60 days.
- Certification: EC Identification mark – IT 02 129 CE.
- Transportation: refrigerate between 6 and 10 °C.
- Microbiological properties: in compliance with guidelines set out for raw milk cheeses in REG EC 2073-05 and subsequent amendments.
- Product: sold as whole cheeses, in pieces or vacuum-packed portions.
- Packaging: single item: one cheese wrapped in food paper. Boxed items: one or two cheeses per box.
- Net weight per item: whole cheese: from 300 g to 3.5 kg.