- Shape: cylindrical, flat surfaces and diameter measuring between 22 and 25 cm. The slightly convex heel measures 8 to 9 cm.
- Rind: thin, elastic, smooth, brown, thickens as cheese ripens.
- Texture: soft and elastic, small eyes scattered throughout, its straw yellow colour is deeper in summer cheeses, speckled with black pepper.
- Flavour: characteristic flavour. Both the flavour and colour may alter according to ripeness; summer cheese is generally more flavoursome and darker in colour.
- Shelf-life: 60 days.
- Ingredients: semi-skimmed milk salt, starter culture, rennet.
- Allergens: milk.
- Characteristics: chilli flavouring.
- Certification: EC Identification mark – IT 02 129 CE.
- Transportation: refrigerate between 6 and 10 °C.
- Microbiological properties: in compliance with guidelines set out for raw milk cheeses in REG EC 2073-05 and subsequent amendments.
- Product: sold as whole cheeses, in pieces or vacuum-packed portions.
- Packaging: single item: one cheese wrapped in food paper. Boxed items: one or two cheeses per box.
- Net weight per item: whole cheese: from 300 g to 2.5 kg.