- Shape: typically cylindrical and flattened with level surfaces. When freshly made the heel is concave but this is rarely visible when mature. Diameter between 35 and 45 cm, height varies between 7 and 10 cm.
- Rind: compact and thin, from light to dark brown depending on aging conditions and duration. Softens and becomes semi-hard with aging. Rind is NOT edible.
- Texture: elastic and soft, depending on period of manufacture, typically contains eyes throughout the wheel. Colour varies from ivory to approximately straw yellow.
- Flavour: cheese melts in the mouth, sweet delicate flavour which gets stronger with aging.
- Shelf-life: 60 days.
- Ingredient: milk, alt, milk, starter culture, rennet.
- Allergens: milk.
- Characteristics: minimum period of aging 81 days but 150 days for more mature Fontina. Cheese produced during the summer at high altitude is tastier and has a stronger flavour.
- Certification: EC Identification mark – IT 02 129 CE.
- Transportation: refrigerate between 4 and 8 °C.
- Microbiological properties: in compliance with guidelines set out for raw milk cheese in REG EC 2073-05 and subsequent amendments.
- Product: cut into portions and vacuum packed.
- Net weight per item: from 250 g to 2.25 kg.